50 YEARS OF ROTARY SERVICE
Club Member John Heaton
Fifty years ago, on 22 August 1966, John Heaton was inducted into the Rotary Club of Rotorua by President Bob Reeder. John had been proposed for membership by his father, well-known local businessman Ken Heaton.
In 1966 the Club met at Tudor Towers, later known as The Bath House and now as the Rotorua Museum.
John Heaton was Club President in the 1974/75 Rotary year and was awarded a Paul Harris Fellowship in 1992.
On behalf of District Governor Keith Owens, Assistant Governor Todd Mountfort presented a 50 Year Celebration Certificate to John on Monday, 22 August 2016 - 50 years to the day since John joined the Rotary Club of Rotorua.
For the presentation, John was joined by his wife Rona and 35 fellow Rotarians. Members of the Club expressed their heartfelt appreciation to John and Rona for their half-century of service to Rotary and the community.
To read John's talk, please click on the icon below.
Club Speaker - 15 June 2015
Club Member John Heaton
P.P. John Heaton PHF gave a talk on his memories as well as research he did on his speech to members. John joined the Rotary Club of Rotorua in 1966 - 49 years as a Rotarian!
Attached is John's talk that he gave on Monday 15 June 2015.
Rotary Club of Rotorua Archives
Club archives are now stored at the Rotorua Library
A small team consisting of Past Presidents' Garth Wilson, John Heaton and Tony Baker have collected, sorted, documented and cataloged material including the first original Minute Books, Correspondence, Financial Reports, Photos and anything of interest into the Rotorua Public Library for safe-keeping. Some of this material collected goes back to the Formation Date of 17 October 1927 and Charter date of 21 December 1927.
Many important documents, photos, books etc have been digitized for extra security and safekeeping.
The Rotary Club of Rotorua wishes to thank Sandra Quinn, Heritage Collections Librarian from the Rotorua District Library, for the help Sandra has given in sorting, documenting and preparing the donated archives which are now safe and accessible to Rotary Club members and members of the public. This irreplaceable material listed below is now on the 2nd floor of the library and may be viewed at any time by talking with staff.
The "Member List - All records" file below is a list of all members of the Rotary Club of Rotorua from Formation Date (17 October 1927) until date this list was assembled (12 April 2015). A total of 626 members during this time.
If you have any material relating to the Rotary Club of Rotorua, which needs to be saved, please contact one of the above who will arrange for collection.
75 Years of Rotary in Rotorua
Written by P.P. Gary Spence in October 2002
A record of the first 75 years of the Rotary Club of Rotorua
Rotary Club of Rotorua
The top two photos are of the Club's two time capsules. The first Time Capsule was put together in 1992 while Gus Treuren was Club President. Dr Tom Trott organised the filling and attaching of the capsule to the wall inside the security safe in the Rotorua Public Library, 1127 Haupapa Street, Rotorua. The capsule is due to be opened in the year 2042.
The next two photos are of the second Time Capsule which was buried on Friday 31 October 2003 in front of Pukeroa Uruawhata House, 1176 Amohau Street. Rotorua. There is a plaque showing the place of burial on a large rock in front of Pukeroa Uruawhata House. This was a 75th Jubilee Project for the Club. Members of the public purchased envelopes and filled them with photos, family trees, and other memorabilia. Peter Spurdle was the Club President. Garth Wilson organised the capsule project. The capsule will be opened on the Club's Centennial on 21 December 2027.
The third photo down shows Rotorua resident Harian Hawkins helping Rotary Club of Rotorua member Allen Foote and Rotorua Mayor Graeme Hall (background) bury the second Rotary Club of Rotorua time capsule.
The second Time Capsule was exhumed and moved in 2014 to a few meters west from its original location due to the extension of the Central Mall Plaza. Once again this was under the guidance of Past President Garth Wilson.
Rotary Silver Jubilee Jug #203
Limited Edition released in 1930
To celebrate Rotary's Silver Jubilee in 1930, Albert Edward Gray designed and produced this commemorative water jug. Printed in silver on a cream base. The Jug features the portrait of Rotary's founder Paul Harris and landmarks in Rotary on one side. Six flags and a list of the countries in which Rotary Clubs had been established on the other. Edward Gray had been a founding member of the Rotary Club of Stoke on Trent in 1927 and was managing director of the pottery company bearing his name.
So how did our Club acquire such an iconic piece of Rotary History?
Past President Doug Clemens spotted this rare Rotary Silver Jubilee Water Jug No.203 at a china antique business in Manakau Rd, Greenlane, Auckland - and took a liking to it. He then went ahead and purchased No.203.
At a Club luncheon meeting held on 15 October 2002, Past President Doug presented our Rotary club with the Rotary Silver Jubilee Water Jug. Our Jug No.203 is signed by A.E. Gray, the founder of the Pottery. This jug was designed and produced by Gray`s Pottery, Hanley, England and is one of a numbered "limited edition" released in 1930.
Each year at Change-Over the Outgoing President passes No.203 to the Incoming President for safekeeping for the next 12 months.
It is not known how many Jugs were produced, but speaking statistically, it would appear to be no more than 300 and maybe as few as 250. It seems that NZ has four of only 14 known Rotary Silver Jubilee Water Jugs left in the World! Our Club is very privileged to own such a priceless rarity.
Reference to The Rotary International Archive History Fellowship reveals that The Paul Harris Museum (Chicago) has one on display numbered 98 and fourteen others around the World ranging in numbers from No.12 to No.233 including the Rotary Club of Taradale, NZ (No.209), Rotary Club of Auckland, NZ (No.118), Rotary Club of Hutt City, NZ (No.144)and the Rotary Club of Rotorua, NZ (No.203) - it also appears that the Rotary Club of Invercargill, NZ has a similar jug but the jug number is not known.